The popular Knott’s Boysenberry Festival is running 31 days this year, it began on March 29th, 2019 and runs through April 28th. We were invited to a media day and sent our CA reporters to the event. For those who don’t know, the story of Knott’s and boysenberries is about 100 years old now and apparently all boysenberries in the world can trace their roots to Knott’s Berry Farm. There is a lot of history and you can enjoy boysenberry food year round (I had a Fun Bun in the summer and several boysenberry items at Mrs. Knott’s Chicken Dinner Restaurant) but not nearly to the extent of the Knott’s Boysenberry Festival – it celebrates all things boysenberry and offers special entertainment. While Jeff and I can’t make the festival this year, we do look forward to a couple of visits to Knott’s Berry Farm in June. One of my favorite things to do at Knott’s is to see Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies, they are longtime favorites of mine and I usually choose a date to visit based on when they are performing. If you haven’t visited Knott’s Berry Farm, it is only about 7 miles from Disneyland – Buena Park borders Anaheim so it is a very easy day trip.
Here is our video overview of the Knott’s Boysenberry Festival and then more information below.
· Flavorful boysenberry dry rubbed flank steak topped with boysenberry cream cheese
· Sweet and tangy boysenberry jerk chicken wings
· Hearty boysenberry chili in a fresh-baked boysenberry sourdough bread bowl
· Tender boysenberry pot roast served over rich and creamy boysenberry mashed potatoes
· Grilled boysenberry BBQ chicken skewers served with a zesty boysenberry aioli dipping sauce
· Boysenberry glazed salmon served on mixed greens and topped with a boysenberry vinaigrette
· Spicy boysenberry habanero baked mac and cheese
· Boysenberry jambalaya prepared with chicken, boysenberry sausage and bell peppers served with white rice
· Boysenberry pulled pork tostada topped with creamy coleslaw and boysenberry drizzle
· Boysenberry-lemon hummus served with pita bread
· Grilled boysenberry sausage on a freshly baked roll topped with boysenberry ketchup, relish, and mustard
· Boysenberry elote, a grilled corn on the cob smothered in fresh boysenberry butter, mayo and topped off with cotija cheese
· Fresh-baked boysenberry waffles served with sweet maple boysenberry cream cheese syrup
· Boysenberry cinnamon sugar tortilla crisps served with creamy boysenberry ice cream
There is a tasting card priced at $35 which offers eight tastings from a selection of fourteen boysenberry-inspired dishes.
Here is a look at entertainment, the copy is from the Knott’s Berry Farm press release .
Knott’s Boysenberry Festival offers endless entertainment options for the festival goer:
· Tied up in Knott’s! – “Tied Up in Knott’s!” is a tribute art show dedicated to the rich history of Knott’s Berry Farm. Over 30 artists will be contributing 50 pieces of art to the show, which pays homage to Knott’s Berry Farm’s past, present and future in various mediums including: oil paintings, illustrations and digital mixed media. These original pieces will be hung on display at the Wilderness Dance Hall during the duration of the Boysenberry Festival.
· Snoopy’s Boysenberry Jamboree! – Guests are invited to join Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the entire Peanuts Gang in a musical stage show that will have families dancing along at the Calico Mine Stage.
· Old Time Melodrama – Knott’s pays tribute to its past at the Legendary Bird Cage Theatre with a special presentation of the musical comedy melodrama with a surprising boysenberry twist!
· Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies – A group of krazy talented performers will have guests toe tappin’, vine dancin’ and knee-slappin’ to a comedic country music show at the Wagon Camp stage.
· Musical Performances – Various musical duos playing Country and Bluegrass tunes will take the stage at Fireman’s stage.
· Old MacDonald Petting Zoo – Young ones and young at heart are invited to cozy up to the cutest critters on the farm including horses, sheep, goats and other furry friends. Old MacDonald’s farm pays tribute to one of the farm’s original attractions.
The Boysenberry Festival is included with admission to Knott’s Berry Farm. Additional costs apply for food tasting experiences within the event. Knott’s will have extended hours on select days March 29 – April 28, allowing guests extra time to take advantage of all of the limited-time offerings.