We received the Aladdin Walt Disney Signature Collection Blu-ray to review. It is now out on digital, and the Blu-ray release will be on September 10th, 2019 with a few new bonus features. Some of the “classic” bonus features here are only 4 years old, but at this point there is a very nice mix of features through the years and the few new additions. “Aladdin on Aladdin” is the highlight here. I’m not going to review the film itself, which was released in 1992 and is a classic Disney animated film that immortalized Robin Williams in his role as Genie. And lyricist Howard Ashman, who collaborated with Alan Menken (both were inducted as Disney Legends in 2001) passed away in 1991, more than a year before this film he was so passionate about released into theaters. There is so much talent that brought Aladdin to life during what is now known as the Disney Renaissance. Here is a look at what the bonus features include, along with the press release below with all the product specifications.
- Sing Along With The Movie – Sing along to the film as the lyrics appear on screen for each song.
- Aladdin on Aladdin – The speaking voice of Aladdin, Scott Weinger (“Fuller House”) visits with other Aladdin performers, including Linda Larkin (Jasmine), as well as with lyricist Alan Menken. Weinger also talks with his mom about his audition. Weinger had to sing “Proud of Your Boy” (which was cut from the animated version), and even though his singing voice was not good enough for the film, he eventually was hired. Brad Kane was the singing voice of Aladdin. Larkin didn’t sing and wasn’t asked to upon auditioning. She thought she was “so fired” when filmmakers found out, but they matched her with singer Lea Salonga. This is a terrific half hour bonus feature and well worth watching.
- “Let’s Not Be Too Hasty”: The Voices of “Aladdin” – It’s fun watching the actors from the 1992 film perform their roles. This is just a few minutes long.
- Alternate Endings – Drawings show how the film may have ended.
- DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE: Drawing Genie – Supervising Animator of Genie Eric Goldberg draws the famous character while talking about animation. This is a short, few minute bonus feature.
- CLASSIC BONUS – “Revisit over 40 exciting bonus features from previous releases” (some of them feel very current since the Aladdin Diamond Edition debuted just 4 years ago).
One of my personal favorite of the “classic” features is “Aladdin: Creating Broadway Magic”. This bonus feature showcases the challenges but also the joys of bringing the story to life on Broadway and includes president of Disney Theatrical Group Thomas Schumacher, lyricist Alan Menken and performers from the stage production. We’ve been able to see about 20 minutes in person from the show (at a travel convention), and what we’ve seen is fantastic.
If you already have the last Aladdin release, there isn’t a lot new here. The 30 minute Aladdin on Aladdin is fun, but I’m not sure it is worth paying again for the movie. But if it’s been a while since you’ve owned the film, it is a good time to pick up the Aladdin Walt Disney Signature Collection.
Here is the original press release about Aladdin coming to the Walt Disney Signature Collection.
BURBANK, Calif. (July 25, 2019) — Embark on a magic carpet ride with the entire family when Disney’s original animated classic “Aladdin” soars into the highly celebrated Walt Disney Signature Collection, granting nonstop laughs, action-packed adventure and Academy Award®–winning music (1992: Best Music, Original Song, “A Whole New World,” Original Score) for the first time in 4K Ultra HD™. The Signature Collection Edition of “Aladdin” takes flight two weeks early in 4K Ultra HD™, Digital in HD and Movies Anywhere Aug. 27 and lands on 4K Ultra HD™ and Blu-ray™ Sept. 10 — with a brand-new sing-along version; all-new bonus features, including original cast recordings; and classic bonus material. The arrival coincides with the in-home release of 2019’s live-action film adaptation “Aladdin,” granting fans everywhere the opportunity to own both magical movies.
The Signature Collection Edition invites every member of the family to join Genie, Aladdin and Jasmine to belt out the unforgettable songs from “Aladdin” — such as “A Whole New World,” “Friend Like Me” and “Prince Ali” — through a new sing-along version. Other fresh features include a walk down memory lane with Scott Weinger (speaking voice of Aladdin) as he reflects on his personal journey portraying the diamond in the rough and meeting with the original cast and filmmakers, and one jump into the recording booth during the original recording sessions. Digital exclusive features legendary animator Eric Goldberg reminiscing about drawing Genie. Also included are hours of classic bonus gems, from hilarious outtakes with the legendary Robin Williams (voice of Genie) to an in-depth discussion with directors John Musker and Ron Clements.
Disney’s tale of the lovable “street rat,” Aladdin, self determined Princess Jasmine and the all-powerful Genie has remained a family favorite for over a quarter of a century. It all began with the animated classic “Aladdin,” the highest-grossing film of 1992 and a two-time Academy Award®–winner, and continued with the hit Broadway musical “Aladdin” and 2019’s live-action film adaptation “Aladdin,” directed by Guy Ritchie and starring Will Smith as Genie, Mena Massoud as Aladdin and Naomi Scott as Jasmine.
Families can decide how, when and where they wish to enjoy “Aladdin” in their households. The film arrives two weeks early on Digital 4K Ultra HD and HD with an exclusive extra — and a Digital bundle doubles the fun with both the Walt Disney Signature Collection Edition and this year’s thrilling, live-action adventure “Aladdin.” A physical copy of the film will be released as a 4K Ultra HD™ (4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™, and Digital Code) and a Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray™ and Digital Code).
“Aladdin” is the 10th title to join the Walt Disney Signature Collection, which includes groundbreaking films created or inspired by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney, featuring timeless stories and characters that have touched generations. The film takes its place alongside “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Pinocchio,” “Bambi,” “The Lion King,” “Lady and the Tramp,” “Peter Pan,” “The Little Mermaid” and “Cinderella.”
BONUS FEATURES ON BLU-RAY & DIGITAL: *
- Sing Along With The Movie – Sing along to your favorite tunes as you watch the film. With magical on-screen lyrics.
- Aladdin on Aladdin – Join the speaking voice of Aladdin, Scott Weinger (“Fuller House”), as he reflects on almost 30 years of being Aladdin.
- “Let’s Not Be Too Hasty”: The Voices of “Aladdin” – Take your seat in the recording booth and watch as the voice actors of “Aladdin” work their microphone magic.
- Alternate Endings – Enter the realm of “what if” and see just how differently the movie could have ended.
- Drawing Genie – Join prolific animator Eric Goldberg as he draws and reminices about the Genie.
CLASSIC BONUS – Revisit over 40 exciting bonus features from previous releases including:
- The Genie Outtakes
- “Aladdin”: Creating Broadway Magic
- Unboxing “Aladdin”
*Bonus features may vary by retailer
Product SKUs: 4K Ultra HD™ (4K UHD™+Blu-ray™+Digital Code), Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray™+DVD+Digital Code), Digital 4K UHD™/HD/SD and On-Demand
Feature Run Time: Approximately 91 minutes
Rating: G in U.S. and Canada
Aspect Ratio: 16×9 1.66:1
4K UHD™ BD: English Dolby Atmos, Latin Spanish, & French-Canadian 5.1 Dolby Digital
Blu-ray: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, Latin Spanish and French-Canadian 5.1 Dolby Digital
4K UHD™ Digital: English Dolby Atmos (some platforms), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital
HD Digital: English 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus (some platforms), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital
4K UHD BD Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish & French
BD Subtitles: English SDH & ESL, Spanish & French
Digital Subtitles: English SDH, French Canadian, Latin Spanish
Digital Captions: English
ABOUT THE WALT DISNEY SIGNATURE COLLECTION:
The Walt Disney Signature Collection includes groundbreaking films created by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney, featuring timeless stories and characters that have touched generations. Each release will offer special features for every member of your family plus a unique digital experience. To date, the collection includes “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Pinocchio,” “Bambi,” “The Lion King,” “Lady and The Tramp,” “Peter Pan,” “The Little Mermaid” and “Cinderella.”