The cover of the summer 2020 issue of Disney Twenty-Three magazine features a variety of items from the Walt Disney Archives as it celebrates 50 years. I just saw most or all of these items at the Bowers Museum exhibit in March, unfortunately the museum is closed currently but the exhibit is worth visiting once the Orange County, CA museum reopens again. There is a lot more to this issue as well, including Don Hahn on his upcoming documentary Howard, about the legendary Howard Ashman as well as film historian Dan Lanigan about his fantastic series Prop Culture. Read more below in the press release!
BURBANK, Calif. – May 7, 2020 – This June, the Walt Disney Archives celebrates its 50th anniversary, and what was once a one-man operation run out of a one-person office in the Animation Building on The Walt Disney Studios lot has grown into a dedicated team of 30 staff members and a model for archives around the world. In the new issue of Disney twenty-three, available exclusively to Gold Members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, film critic and historian Leonard Maltin explores five remarkable decades of preserving Disney’s most beloved treasures while remaining a vital resource for writers, directors, and, of course, Disney fans.
It’s once again time to play the music, and it’s time to light the lights. With the premiere of the new series Muppets Now coming soon to Disney+, the team bringing the show to life takes Disney twenty-three behind the scenes for a heartfelt look at the show. And Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy sit down for an exclusive interview to talk about their return to the screen—and the importance of Miss Piggy, of course.
Plus, Sir Kenneth Branagh, Dame Judi Dench, Josh Gad, and newcomer Ferdia Shaw discuss adapting the YA phenomenon Artemis Fowl into an epic feature, premiering this June on Disney+. Director and producer Don Hahn pens an essay on the making of his moving Howard Ashman documentary Howard for Disney+, and illuminates the inside story of the award-winning lyricist responsible for some of Disney’s most beloved songs. And Secret Society of Second-Born Royals star Skylar Astin reveals his Disneyland favorites, with photos shot exclusively for Disney twenty-three earlier this point year at the resort.
Also included in the Summer issue of Disney twenty-three:
- Brian Henson takes us on the set of the out-of-this-world Disney+ talk show Earth to Ned, complete with a celebrity-obsessed alien charged with destroying the planet
- Film historian Dan Lanigan gives us an insider look at the making of Prop Culture, the fascinating new Disney+ series that looks at iconic props from timeless films such as Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Mary Poppins
- From The Sound of Music to The Reluctant Dragon, 10 must-see Disney+ movies selected by members of the Walt Disney Archives team
- Dazzling then-and-now Disneyland park photographs—plus an array of classic merchandise—in honor of the park’s 65th anniversary
- Regular features including From the Desk of, By the Numbers, Character Analysis, D Society, and Ask the Walt Disney Archives
Disney twenty-three, which is delivered directly to fans’ doorsteps, is offered exclusively to D23 Gold and Gold Family Members as a benefit of their membership. The latest issue will begin arriving before the end of May.