Today is National Cookie Day, and the Disney Parks Blog has shared the recipe for recipe for Alfajores at the new Nochebuena Cocina Holiday Kitchen for EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays. This is a vanilla shortbread sandwich cookie filled with dulce de leche and rolled in coconut, and I really need to pick one up at EPCOT to try it before the end of the festival!
Here is the recipe from the Disney Parks Blog.
ALFAJORES (VANILLA SHORTBREAD COOKIES) from the EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays presented by AdventHealth
Makes 6-8 Alfajores
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (14 ounce) can Dulce de Leche
- 12-16 cookies
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Combine all-purpose flour and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside.
- Cream butter and powdered sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until fluffy. Add egg yolk and vanilla and mix on medium speed, scraping sides occasionally, until fully incorporated.
- Add reserved flour mixture and beat on low speed until dry dough starts to come together. Remove from bowl and knead of floured surface until dough is soft.
- Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/2-inch circles. Place on prepared baking pan, leaving 2-inches between each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- Pour dulce de leche into a piping bag.
- Place half of the cookies, bottom side up, on a flat surface. Pipe dulce de leche onto each cookie. Top with remaining cookies.
- Coat sides of cookies with shredded coconut and dust tops with powdered sugar.
Cook’s Note: To enhance the flavor of the coconut, toast it in the oven. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 300ºF, stirring every 3 minutes, until golden brown.
Always use caution when handling sharp objects and hot contents. Please supervise children who are helping or nearby.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.