The Sanaa bread service is a favorite item for us to order at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge – Kidani Village (the last times we ordered, we did so via mobile order with Sanaa to go). The restaurant specializes in African cooking with Indian flavors. A large segment of my family is from India and I utilize aromatic spices regularly in my cooking. And now Disney has shared a recipe for the Sanaa Naan Bread – just one of five breads in the service.
Sanaa Bread Service consists of traditional naan, garlic-ginger naan, spiced naan, onion kulcha, or paneer paratha all made in the restaurant’s tandoor ovens. Accompaniments include cucumber raita, roasted red pepper hummus, mango chutney, tomato-date jam, tamarind chutney, coriander chutney, garlic pickle, red chile sambal, and spicy jalapeño-lime pickle.
The Sanaa chefs offered up not only the naan but their Cucumber Raita. These recipes come from the Disney Parks Blog.
NAAN BREAD WITH CUCUMBER RAITA
Sanaa, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village
Makes 5 (8-inch) naan
3 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup warm water
1 tablespoon canola oil
4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; stir to combine.
- Combine milk, water, and oil in a medium bowl; whisk to combine.
- With mixer running, pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. As soon as mixture comes together, switch attachment to a dough hook and mix until dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Do not over-mix.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Place a pizza stone on a top rack of oven, positioned approximately 6 inches below the broiler. Preheat oven to 500°F for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide dough evenly into 5 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into an 8-inch circle.
- Turn oven to broil. Carefully slide one circle of dough onto the preheated pizza stone, and broil until bread is bubbled and golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Watch carefully, as the bread can burn very quickly. Repeat with remaining dough rounds.
- Brush the warm bread with melted butter and serve immediately.
Makes 2 cups
1 1/2 cups Greek-style plain yogurt
1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced into small pieces
1/2 small jalapeño pepper, seeds and stem removed, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and freshly ground
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon coarse salt
Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Chill before serving.
Note: Always use caution when handling sharp objects and hot contents. Please supervise children who are helping or nearby. This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
To make reservations for Sanaa, visit the Walt Disney World Resort website.